My name is Michael Gruber and I am a biologist and a freelancing illustrator. I finished my ecology studies at the Universtity of Vienna in 2011 and since then, I worked for several projects in different Univesity Departments. My specialisations are pencil and ink drawings of animals, especially in the field of protozoology.
In 2012 I started to work for Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Foissner, a highly respected and world-wide leading protozoologist, for whom I made line- and life-drawings for the monograph „Terrestrial and Semiterrestrial Ciliates (Protozoa, Ciliophora) from Venezuela & Galàpagos“ (Foissner 2016).
Since childhood my focus was on drawing, and through many years of practicing, and my academical studies in Biology, I could gather a huge understanding of anatomical structures and their arrangement within the animal and plant kingdom.
I dedicate the name of my Homepage to my ancestor Hieronymus Loeschenkohl, who was a famouse Austrian Engraver in the late 18th century (link).
- Carbon dust
- Coloured Pencil
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Walter Fiedler Promotion Price of the Austrian Zoological-Botanical Society (for Diploma Thesis)
- Course „Natural Scientific Drawing and Illustration“ (Vienna, 2011)
- Postgraduate Course „Introduction to Naturalistic and Scientific Illustration“ (Sabadell / Spain, 2014)
- International Scientific Illustration Competition „Illustraciencia“ (2015)
- Comic Con Austria Drawing Competition (2017): First Price
- International Scientific Illustration Competition „Illustraciencia“ (2017)