My name is Michael Gruber, I am a biologist and a freelancing illustrator. I finished my ecology studies at the Universtity of Vienna in 2011 and worked since then for several projects at different facilities (Univesities, museums, etc.). My specialisations are pencil and ink drawings of animals, especially in the field of protozoology.
From 2012 to 2016 I worked for Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Foissner, a highly respected and world-wide leading protozoologist, for whom I made line- and life-drawings for his monograph „Terrestrial and Semiterrestrial Ciliates (Protozoa, Ciliophora) from Venezuela & Galàpagos“ (Foissner 2016) and other single publications.
Since childhood my focus was on drawing, and through many years of practicing, and my academical studies in biology, I could gather a huge understanding of anatomical structures and their arrangement within the animal and plant kingdom.
However, my focus is not only on scientific illustrations, but also on all kinds of book illustrations, cartoons and many more (see references).
I dedicate the name of my Homepage to my ancestor Hieronymus Loeschenkohl, who was a famouse Austrian Engraver in the late 18th century (link).
- Carbon dust
- Coloured Pencil
- Adobe Photoshop
- Walter Fiedler Promotion Price of the Austrian Zoological-Botanical Society (for Diploma Thesis)
- Posterprize DGP Conference 2018 (First Place)
- Publication of the Month Award (January 2018); University of Salzburg (Link)
- Oral Presentation DGP Conference 2019 (Second Place)
- Course „Natural Scientific Drawing and Illustration“ (Vienna, 2011)
- Postgraduate Course „Introduction to Naturalistic and Scientific Illustration“ (Sabadell / Spain, 2014)
- International Scientific Illustration Competition „Illustraciencia“ (2015)
- Comic Con Austria Drawing Competition (2017): First Price
- International Scientific Illustration Competition „Illustraciencia“ (2017)
- Online Course „Natural History Illustration“ University of Newcastle (Australia)